Our Hotel - Our History Mt. Ruapehu Hotel

Chateau Tongariro Hotel

Our History

Every nook and cranny of Chateau Tongariro has a story to tell.

The awe-inspiring mountains and rich forest of Tongariro National Park were given by Paramount Chief of Ngati Tuwharetoa, Horonuku Te Heu Heu Tukino to the people of New Zealand in 1887, laying the foundation on which our hotel is built. The gift ensured the land would be protected and open for all time to all people, a commitment we still hold dear.

After a new road gave access to the mountains in 1925, we opened the Chateau Tongariro Hotel in time to welcome guests from across the globe in the opulent glory days of the “”Roaring ’20s””, and the hotel works hard to preserve the atmosphere of that glorious era to this day.